Two new places now available !
Book online via WeTeachMe: HERE
The Handweavers and Spinners Guild Certificate Weaving course will run to a fortnightly Sunday format, commencing as a 4 shaft course over 12 months in July 2017.
(The 8 shaft year will then be offered, dependent on student numbers.)
The course offers excellent tuition in 4 Shaft Weaving covering traditional structures and contemporary applications. A combination of thorough weave theory, practical design skills and experimental approaches is provided. Participants gain experience combining yarns, altering setts, appropriately finishing fabrics and applying Colour Theory to Woven Cloth Design. Students complete the course with a comprehensive folio of samples illustrating their competence in weaving over a dozen structures, plus variations.
Tutors: Ilka White, Gerlinde Binning and Pat Jones
Dates: Fortnightly Sundays (excluding School Holidays) from July 23, 2017
Duration: 17 days throughout 12 months (July 2017 – mid 2018)
Time: 10:00am to 3:00pm
Venue: Guild Rooms, 655 Nicholson Street, North Carlton.
Cost: Members $1,350 Non Members $1,400
(Online terms: 10% Deposit paid on booking, then 9 x monthly installments (10%) from course commencement.
Bookings in person – Visit / Telephone the Guild (03) 9387 9222 to register and pay by credit card. Office hours are Tuesday to Friday, 10am to 3pm.
4 Shaft Class Schedule:
- 23 July Project 1 – Weaving Overview, Tools
- 6 Aug Plain Weave, Hopsack, & related structures
- 20 Aug Twills
- 3 Sep Finger manipulated weaves, Leno
- 17 Sep Project 2 – Exploring Rosepath & Colour Theory
- 15 Oct Rosepath structures, Drafting
- 29 Oct Colour Theory – blending colours & yarn
- 12 Nov Project 3, Block Weave theory, Monksbelt
- 26 Nov Designing Kinetic Blockweave, Honeycomb
The course will then continue on fortnightly Sundays from February through to mid 2018 – dates TBA:
- Project 4 – Lace Weaves
- Block Lace Weave
- Exploring Lace Weave Structures
- Project 5 – Shared Round Robin Project
- Round Robin Continued…
- Colour & Weave, Summer & Winter
- Overshot, M’s & O’s
- Spaced Warp, Striped Warp